Classic Cars

27 SEPTEMBER 2017

Classic Cars

Auction, 0216
FLORENCE
Villa La Massa
5.00 p.m.
Viewing
Florence
23-26 September 2017
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Villa La Massa
 
 
 
Estimate   0 € - 550000 €

All categories

31 - 46  of 46
33

MASERATI BITURBO (1983)

 

CHASSIS N. ZAM331B00XB106913

 

ENGINE: TWIN-TURBO V6

DISPLACEMENT: 1996 CM3

POWER: 180 CV A 7.500 G/M

BODY STYLE: COUPE’

 

To own a Maserati has always had a strong mechanical and historical significance: in fact, back in 1914 a gentleman from Bologna, Alfieri Maserati, established a workshop for the production of spark plugs and batteries, and for transforming the most valuable motorcars of the time: the Isotta Fraschini. For this reason, all Maserati cars bear the image of the Trident on the Statue of Neptune in Piazza Maggiore that expresses nobility and prestige and underlines the provenance from Bologna.

In 1937 the Orsi family from Modena purchased the company, launching a period of great sporting glory and, above all, the beginning of the small series production of road vehicles. After various vicissitudes, in 1968 the company was purchased by Citroën and in 1973, due to bad results, the company that had, in the past, got the adrenalin of the greatest drivers flowing, was placed in liquidation, to the dismay of the world of sport and finance.

In 1976 the Argentinian businessman, sportsman and adventurer Alejandro De Tomaso took over the Brand and entrusted the designer Michele Spera with initiating a recovery process for the timeless brand which was now based in Modena.

In 1982 the model of which we are proposing a beautiful example was released: designed by Pierangelo Andreani of Centro Stile Maserati, and inspired by Giugiaro’s Quattroporte. Due to energy and fiscal crises Maserati was forced to reduce the size and displacement whilst maintaining the leather and wood finishes and good performance.

At that time in Italy it was fiscally almost impossible to purchase a vehicle with a displacement of more than two litres: when the Biturbo came out it caused a sensation because, for the very first time, it was possible to buy a Maserati without arousing the interest of the Inland Revenue and the Finance Police, but even more shocking was the fact that it cost the same as an Alfetta 2000!

Technically, the Biturbo was characterized by the V six cylinder twin turbo longitudinal front engine, rear-wheel-drive, independent front suspensions and rear oscillating arms, plus 4 disc brakes that guaranteed efficient braking. At a time when BMW, SAAB and even Volvo had dared to market cars with a turbocharger, a larger than life character like De Tomaso must have thought: “We’ll put in two!”.

The vehicle proposed here comes from the very early period of production, it is in a good state of preservation and only needs a new enthusiastic owner to get it back on the road.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    6.000 / 8.000
Price realized  Registration
34

URBANINA (1967)

 

ENGINE: ELECTRIC

BODY STYLE: CITY LAUNDAULET

 

Ever since the beginning of the motor car, electric power has been a credible alternative to the internal or external combustion engines.

This was particularly true for city use, where the stop-and-go driving and the need for quietness and cleanliness points specifically in the direction of the electric runabout.

After the first pioneer years, as we know, the gasoline engine won the battle and everything else was more or less forgotten until the late 1960s, when the first problems in the oil production, transport and distribution started to develop.

Among the very first to study a modern electric small car were Tus­cans Marquis Piero Girolamo Bargagli Bardi Bandini and his en­gineer Narciso Cristiani. The Marquis had had enough of the ‘60s hectic Roman traffic and devised a little car based on a platform carrying the mechanical parts on which a separate passenger com­partment was mounted in such a way that it could rotate through 360. to allow ease of entry from every side.

A series production was planned, and the car, named “Urbanina” was shown at the Turin Motor Show in 1965 and 1966. Two version were envisaged: one with a two-stroke single cylinder scooter en­gine, and one with a Bosch electric motor.

On its November 1966 issue, “Quattroruote” commented: “- Main features are the vertical passenger plastic cabin and its ability to rotate...-“

After the first prototypes, the rotating cabin was considered too com­plicated, and the car received a more traditional body.

The car we show today comes from the very first batch produced, and was registered long before the oil crisis of 1973 and 1976.

This notwistanding, it did not have the hoped for success, and the project was sold to Zagato who, modifying the body work, produced and sold a number of them, under the new name of “Zele”.

The Urbanina you see today is therefore a unique car, possibly the only surviving example of a very small ground-breaking production: just consider that in the years 2000s some of the Japanese majors showed a concept of small electric citycar with rotating cabin...

It sports a pleasing body, whose rear part can be open as in a latter day “Laundaulet de Ville”, as they would have described it in the early XX Century.

With its inimitable mix of ancient and modern, fifty years old but utterly contemporary at the same time, this Urbanina is a unique opportunity for a shrewd collector. The car is road registered and it can be used, taking advantage of all the rules dedicated to vintage cars and those for electric cars.

It has a speed of about 60 kmh and a range of roughly 200 kms.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety rea­sons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    9.000 / 12.000
Price realized  Registration
35

VOLKSWAGEN 1200 BEETLE (1956) 

 

CHASSIS N. 1226866

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 1200 CM3

POWER: 36 CV

BODY STYLE: SALOON

 

The Volkswagen Beetle is certainly one of the most important cars in history. Launched in 1938 as the ‘People’s car’ and destined to motorize the German middle class, it was one of the first technical successes of its designer, Ferdinand Porsche.

Produced in various versions and in many factories and different countries, for almost sixty years, despite receiving almost 70,000 modifications over the years, it always remained faithful to its original technical layout based on a platform chassis, rear flat four cylinder engine, great simplicity and construction quality.

That is not all, as after surviving the ruinous end of the Third Reich that created it and being saved by an English officer who was put in charge of closing down the Wolfsburg plant but instead launched its success, it achieved the purpose it had been assigned and also laid the foundations for the sports vehicles named after the designer which, for many people, remain at the top of their sector. For many years it held the record for the highest number of vehicles produced but, in the 1950s, almost twenty years after its birth, it was still growing laboriously on the various world markets. This was due more to the conditions of the local economies and the complex and costly tax regimes that imposed duties on imports, rather than the quality of the vehicles.

For this reason, in 1956 buying a Volkswagen in Italy was not very commonplace. The national industry had already started to produce modern, efficient cars albeit with a traditional technical design, and also on a cost level the comparison was not easy because the importer had adopted a policy of containment of margins in order to privilege circulation. For example, in 1960 the VW 1200 cost 1,097,000 lire, whereas a comparable Fiat, the 1100, cost 1,013,000.

Plus, in the province of Pisa, where the vehicle proposed was registered, there was an absence of many of the motivations such as the Volkswagen’s great efficiency in the mountains due to its air cooling system and the engine located above the rear axle that guaranteed excellent traction on ice and snow.

We can, therefore, hazard a guess that the first owner of the vehicle wanted something different from the cars he normally saw on the road which would also explain the beautiful gold metallic colour, instead of the more common black, grey, beige and white that were to be seen at the time.

The vehicle has recently been subjected to fanatical restoration work and certainly represents an almost unique opportunity to obtain an original Italian ‘oval rear window’, with all the documents of the period intact and in concours condition.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    22.000 / 30.000
36

VOLKSWAGEN T2 (1973)

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 1285 CM3

POWER: 44 CV

BODY STYLE: VAN

 

The Volkswagen Beetle was certainly one of the most important cars in history. Launched in 1938 as the ‘People’s car’ and destined to motor­ize the German middle class, it was one of the first technical successes of its designer, Ferdinand Porsche. 

Produced in various versions and in many factories and different coun­tries for almost sixty years, in 1949 it gave life to a series of commer­cial vehicles. It did not matter if the engine was weak and mounted at the rear where the loading surface would normally have been. Its prodigious reliability more than balanced out the lack of performance, especially at a time when the roads did not permit fast speeds and reconstruction requirements instead generated a growing market for compact work vehicles.

The ‘boxer’ conformation of the engine made it very flat and it was possible to realize an acceptable loading surface. In the vans this was, in any case, principally accessed through the large hinged, or sliding, side doors. It should be noted that the mechanism of these sliding doors was used on license from the high luxury English coach­builder James Young who developed them before the war for some splendid and very expensive Bentleys!

After the first T1s, characterized by the split windshield, the T2s con­tinued and increased the success of the Volkswagen ‘little van’, which left the purely professional sphere to become a member of the limited group of leisure vehicles.

In California, in particular, it became the cult vehicle of the surf gen­eration and the Hippies in the late 1960s. Volkswagen was quick to notice this and put an infinite series of fittings into production that could transform a humble van into an almost luxury limousine: six or nine seater interiors, sophisticated upholstery, accessories, even a huge sunroof were all available. A series of external specialists, including the famous Westfalia company, offered special fittings for mobile offices, camper vans, or whatever the client wanted.

The T2 we are presenting today has recently been subjected to a fa­natical renovation of the mechanics and bodywork. The interior has been purposely left unfinished to allow the purchaser to finish it as they choose or to modify it according to their tastes or commercial requirements. This type of vehicle, in fact, lends itself magnificently even to being used as a mobile shop for street food chains, ice-cream parlours and such forth. All the interior components and details and components are supplied with the vehicle which can therefore be fin­ished in its original state or modified as the new owner requires.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over.

 

Estimate    18.000 / 25.000
Price realized  Registration
37

VOLVO 1800E (1970)

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 1986 CM3

POWER: 118 CV

BODY STYLE: COUPE’

 

Built on the base of the 120 Amazon, the P1800S represented an attempt by Volvo to realize a product that was different from the one for which they had become famous: a small two-seater vehicle that was sporty but not exaggerated, and was able to maintain the features of safety and reliability which had become synonymous with the Swedish manufacturer. A 1800S purchased by an American client in 1966 and used by him constantly and daily, that had driven almost five million kilometres, is featured in the Guinness Book of Records.

Designed by Piero Frua, the P1800S was initially assembled by Jensen in London, but then, in 1963, production was moved to Sweden and it was simply named the 1800S. It is a pleasant coupé with two small rear fins that then paved the way for a beautiful shooting brake, or "Break de Chasse" as the French would say: halfway between a coupé and a station-wagon: the 1800ES. In 1969 the 1800S received an update and a series of improvements including the adoption of the B20E engine with slightly greater displacement and an injection system instead of carburettors. Once again the official name was changed and it became the 1800E.

Throughout the period of its production, between 1961 and 1973, over 47,000 examples were produced, whilst only 2799 of the 1800E were produced in 1970. The vehicle proposed here belongs to the last period of production having been registered in 1970 in the United Kingdom, which is why it is right-hand drive. It was then imported and duly registered in Italy in 2015. It is a vehicle that has been excellently preserved by its previous enthusiastic owners.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    10.000 / 15.000
Price realized  Registration
38

ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SPIDER 1600 (1963)

 

CHASSIS N. AR376411

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 4 CYLINDER TWIN-CAM

DISPLACEMENT: 1570 CM3

POWER: 92 CV

BODY STYLE: SPIDER PININFARINA

 

Following the big 6C and 8C of the 1930s, and the exponential development of the sector dedicated to the production of aero engines for the war effort, after 1945 Alfa Romeo – which had already joined the IRI fifteen years earlier and was therefore state-owned - had to plan a decisive change of direction in order to survive.

With orders in the air sector reduced to a minimum, the large company could not get by just producing a few examples of luxury vehicles but had to expand towards more accessible ranges that were numerically more important on the motorcar market.

So from the 6C 2500 it moved on to the four cylinder 1900, whilst it prepared –also from an organizational and industrial viewpoint – its entrance onto the medium-sized vehicle market.

This happened in 1955 with the Giulietta, an agile and nippy vehicle powered by a modern four cylinder 1300 CC engine with double overhead cam distribution. Alfa Romeo demonstrated that, even by dropping down a segment, it did not intend to forgo the technical, mechanical and brilliant driving characteristics that had made it a point of reference in the motoring world. The four door saloon was soon joined by a Coupé and a Spider, designed by two great Maestros at the peak of their creativity: Nuccio Bertone and Battista ‘Pinin’ Farina respectively. The Giulietta, even more than its high-ranking ancestors, was the basis of the success of the Alfa Romeo Brand we see today.

The Giulia was the logical evolution of the Giulietta: more modern, faster, and also easier to build. Whilst the saloon was revolutionized, with a very aerodynamic line, the Giulia Spider was luckily kept almost identical to the Giulietta, with small modifications such as the air inlet on the bonnet, the bigger rear lights and, above all, the 1600 CC engine and approximately 92 horsepower.

Whilst 14,300 examples of the Giulietta Spider were built, there were only 9,250 Giulia Spiders.

These vehicles were among the absolute protagonists of the Italian ‘economic boom’ of the 1960s, and appeared in many movies driven by the film stars of the time. They enjoyed good results abroad, especially in the United States, where they laid the foundations for the success that was subsequently embodied by the next model, the Duetto.

With the Giulietta and the Giulia Spider the segment of sporty Spiders with medium displacement was born that still survives today.

This vehicle was registered in Como on 26/7/63, and then later, on 1/9/66, it was sold in the province of Milano when it obtained the registration plate it still carries today.

It is in excellent condition and represents a good opportunity for anyone who would like to obtain an iconic vehicle that is great fun to drive, supported by Clubs, specialists and spare parts dealers, and highly sought-after by collectors all over the world.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    50.000 / 60.000
39

PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS-AM KITT REPLICA (1982)

 

CHASSIS N. IG2AV8773CL547310

 

ENGINE: V8

DISPLACEMENT: 5000 CM3

POWER: 190 HP

BODY STYLE: COUPE’ "T-ROOF"

 

The first version of the Firebird was born in 1967. Trans-Am, from which the name derives, is a speed race devised by Pirelli in which all the main American sports vehicle brands participated driven by the biggest names in motoring sport.

Today the Trans-Am Championship, whilst respecting its origins, con­sists of four categories in which vehicles with considerable mechanical differences between them take part.

The second generation Firebird, built from 1970 to 1981, underwent extensive restyling, increasing the power and heavily intervening on the aerodynamics. The third generation, to which the vehicle we are presenting belongs, adopted the same improvements as the Chevrolet Camaro of which it already used the mechanics and other details re­garding the finishes and bodywork (both brands were owned by Gen­eral Motors).

The vehicle adopts a 5 litre V 8 cylinder engine with 3 speed automatic transmission and power of 190 HP.

This example was completely restored and modified to be a replica of the famous K.I.T.T. in 2013/2014 purposely to take part as a special guest in “Las Vegas Cars Stars 2014”. Sent over from Italy in a special container it arrived in New York and crossed the whole of the United States in order to launch the event with astounding success.

In Italy it took part in an event in Monza called “Acceleration” on the express request of actor David Hasselhoff, star of the “Supercar” series. The following year it participated in another very important event in France called “Reencontre European Cars stars” where it was admired and autographed by “Michael Scheffe”, the original designer, as well as the actor, producer and TV personality David Hasselhoff.

It appears that a new series of these TV films is in preparation which would renew interest in this vehicle and, evidently, its value.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    100.000 / 150.000
40

AERMACCHI CIGNO 125N (1953)

 

CHASSIS N. 125.05297

 

ENGINE: TWO-STROKE SINGLE CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 123 CM3

POWER: 5,5 CV

 

Aermacchi was a company with a long tradition. Established (as “Fratelli Macchi”) in Varese in the XIX century, it had produced coaches, wheels, rolling stock, bodywork, motorcycles and aeroplanes. If they had had a shipyard the Macchi brothers would have been able to cover every type of mechanical vehicle!

With the Cigno, Aermacchi attempted to reserve itself a share of the growing postwar scooter market, offering an attentive clientele a more sophisticated vehicle. As a start they decided to give it high wheels in order to avoid all the problems scooter riders know so well. Nevertheless the pressed sheet metal chassis-bodywork structure was typical of scooters. The mechanics were sophisticated, with the horizontal single cylinder oscillating with the rear suspension, the three speed gearbox and front suspension with oscillating arm.

This particular detail testifies to Aermacchi’s great experience in the field of aeronautics: in fact this was conceptually derived from the arms on the undercarriage of an aeroplane.

The main designer of the Cigno was no other than Lino Tonti, one of the top Italian motorcycle engineers of the post-war period.

The Cigno presented here came from the last year of production and has been completely restored. The engine has been rebuilt from scratch as has the bodywork. Supplied with all the standard driving documents, it represents an interesting addition to any collection of Italian lightweight motorcycles or scooters.

The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over before driving.

 

Estimate    1.500 / 2.500
42

HARLEY DAVIDSON WLA (1942)

 

CHASSIS N. 42WLA288801

 

ENGINE: V TWIN 45. “FLATHEAD”

DISPLACEMENT: 740 CM3

POWER: 23 CV

 

As the US Army was getting ready for WW2, Harley Davidson was very active in order to fight the competition of Indian Motorcycles. HD was working on a specific model, based on the WL model, itself derived from the D model of the mid-1930s, and the first to feature the ‘Flathead’ engine. The new motorcycle’s design was based on the Army’s requests, and its definition was to be “WLA”, where the A was for Army.

William Harley worked hard to create a motorcycle with good manouvrability (thanks to a reduction and careful distribution of the masses), reliability, versatility and low fuel consumption, even if these goals meant a lower power.

The 45. twin with side valves had a power of 23 HP and was mounted in a tubular frame with lower engine protections to better cope with offroad riding; the speed was over 60 mph.

The WLA was a commercial success, a sit was also used by the Canadian and Russian Armies.

A specific feature of this model was the pedal clutch on the left side, which had a double pedal: pressing the front part drive was disconnected, pressing the rear it was resumed.

As many WLAs, the motorcycle we are offering today has been left by the Army and sold to a private rider, it has been then restored in the 1980s and lovingly kept and used sparingly by the seller.

The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over before driving.

 

Estimate    15.000 / 20.000
43

INNOCENTI LAMBRETTA 150 LD (1957)

 

CHASSIS N. LD 292938

 

ENGINE: TWO-STROKE SINGLE

DISPLACEMENT: 149 CM3

POWER: 6 CV

 

Before WW2, Ferdinando Innocenti founded a successful engineering company making steel pipes and joints still used today for scaffolding, and named “Tubi Innocenti”.

Just after the war he saw the potential for an economic means of trans­port and created the Lambretta, so called because its factory was in the east suburb of Milan, Lambrate.

Innocenti though was born in Pescia, a small town in Tuscany not far from Pontedera, where the Lambretta’s rival Vespa was produced by Piaggio.

Lambretta had a tubular frame, to which the body panels were fixed, and the engine was a small single cylinder two stroker.

The scooter we are proposing today comes from the final series of the 150 LD model.

In 1957, the Lambretta, which up to then was always grey, was en­riched with a two-tone finish: the two rear lids, the front and the han­dlebar nacelle could be painted in Light Blue, Emerald Green, English Blue or Deep Red, like the one we are selling today. It has recently been completely restored: it is therefore in perfect condition and still has its original number plate and paperwork.

It is a very high quality example of a classic Italian scooter from the 1950s, with relatively good performance due to its displacement. It would be a perfect addition to any collection of 1950s Italian auto­mobiles!

The scooter is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety rea­sons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over before driving.

 

Estimate    4.000 / 6.000
Price realized  Registration
44

MOTO GUZZI SUPER ALCE 500 (1951)

 

CHASSIS N. 29451

 

ENGINE: HORIZONTAL SINGLE CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 498,4 CM3

POWER: 18,5 CV

 

Moto Guzzi, one of the absolute protagonists of the global success of Italian motorcycling, was established in 1921 by Carlo Guzzi and Giorgio Parodi.

In the 1930s they developed a series of motorcycles powered by a very special half litre engine with just one horizontal cylinder. Developed in various versions this engine was used on touring, racing, working mo­torcycles, three-wheelers and sidecars and naturally, given the times, military motorcycles.

The motorcycle had established itself as a light and versatile vehicle that was very useful in wartime because it permitted fast movement and was difficult to intercept.

The Superalce was an updated post-war version of the Alce military motorcycle used in the Second World War. The Superalce instead was produced for the Italian Armed Forces from 1948 to 1958. The motorcycle presented here was made in 1951, and in 1969 it was sold by the Armed Forces in order to be registered privately. It was a specific version of the Falcone and as such had the classic horizontal single cylinder engine with overhead valves, exposed valve springs and manual advance.

It has recently been completely restored in its original ‘Army’ version and provided with a series of accessories that bring it even closer to the way it appeared in the armed forces. It has a certificate of origin from Moto Guzzi attesting to its identity, and is in excellent condition.

The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety rea­sons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over before driving.

 

Estimate    7.000 / 10.000
47

HARLEY DAVIDSON FLT TOUR GLIDE (1980) “KING OF THE HIGHWAY”

 

CHASSIS N. 5G0077J0

 

ENGINE: V TWIN 45.

DISPLACEMENT: 1340 CM3

POWER: 70 CV A 5800 G.M.

 

NOTE: Shovelhead 1340 engine with silent blocks, 5 speed gearbox. Twin front and single rear disc brakes.

This model was the first Harley Davidson with a five speed gearbox and the engine mounted on silentblocks: this makes for a more comfort­able ride thanks to the reduced vibration.

The Tour Glide was designed for the long rides on the American Inter­states and it was also used by the Highway Patrol.

This unit is the 77th built and was bought by the current owner from a Viet Nam Veteran. The engine is an evolution of the previous 1200 Shovelhead, grown to 1340, while there were also big differences in the braking department with the first all-disc system.

The distribution chain has been completely covered to make it more reliable, cleaner and quieter. To control the temperatures, this bike received an oil cooler, which keeps the lubricant in the best working conditions.

Another unusual feature were the alloy wheels, which enhanced the manouvrability.

This motorcycle has only been ridden for sixteen thousand miles in almost forty years. It is in excellent condition, and a Harley Davidson enthusiast cannot miss this opportunity of purchasing an important motorcycle, which has kick-started the recent HD worldwide success, and comes with a very low mileage.

The motorcycle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety rea­sons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over before driving.

 

Estimate    10.000 / 15.000
31 - 46  of 46