Classic Cars

27 SEPTEMBER 2017

Classic Cars

Auction, 0216
FLORENCE
Villa La Massa
5.00 p.m.
Viewing
Florence
23-26 September 2017
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Villa La Massa
 
 
 
Estimate   0 € - 550000 €

All categories

1 - 30  of 46
2

FIAT 500 D SECOND SERIES (1965)

 

CHASSIS N. 777126

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 2 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 499,5 CM3

POWER: 17,5 CV

BODY STYLE: TRASFORMABILE

 

The vehicle that transformed Italy, taking advantage of the wave of the ‘economic boom’ but also contributing to the same, the “Nuova 500”, was presented in 1957, exactly sixty years ago. In the first three years of its life it reached maturity both from a technical point of view as well as in terms of the market, and had over 181,000 customers.

Its growth was exponential and, as happened with the “Topolino”, the more were produced the easier and cheaper it became to produce them: 642,000 of the second series (500 D) were built and then, with the subsequent ones, a few million!

For almost thirty years the ‘Cinquecento’ was the absolute protagonist of many aspects of Italian history: from the economy, which it helped to grow, to social development, to art and cinema: today the Cinquecento is still a central part of the image countless lovers of Italy around the world have of our country.

With the 500 D, an example of which we are proposing at today’s auction, the engine of the Nuova 500 was increased from 479 to 499.5 cc and from 15 to 17.5 horsepower. The price had gone down from 465,000 Lire to 450,000: the phenomenon invented by Henry Ford was repeated according to which the higher the production the lower the costs, so it was possible to reduce the price for the end consumer whilst increasing the factory’s margin.

In the collectors’ world today, the “D” is undoubtedly one of the most sought-after models as it still has the rear hinged doors – which are very 1950s – but the mechanics are already more tried and tested.

The vehicle offered today is even more interesting as it features the rare transformable bodywork: i.e. the sun roof goes right down to the engine compartment, creating an almost spider-like opening. The Trasformabile had been planned ever since the launch of the Nuova 500 in 1957, but from 1959 it gave way to the more practical and less delicate ‘Sunroof’ version. The ‘Sunroof’ basically became the classic 500 that we all know and maybe even owned, given that the ‘Trasformabile’ was soon abandoned and the mass produced versions, after 1965, were all ‘Sunroofs’. The 500 presented here is therefore one of the very last produced with suicide doors, and has just been fully restored by a specialist workshop. They started with a car that was in good condition and completely took it apart. Each element was checked and, where possible, overhauled and reused. The engine and gearbox were totally renovated, as were the electrical system and all the vehicle’s other systems. All in all this is a new car having only been driven a few hundred kilometres for adjustment and running in.

In the year of the sixtieth anniversary of possibly the most important Italian car ever, today you have an opportunity to purchase a fantastic example of the most popular series in the rarest and most highly requested body style version: an unmissable occasion!

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over.

 

Estimate    14.000 / 16.000
Price realized:  Registration
3

FIAT 1500 SPIDER (1960)

 

CHASSIS N. 006414

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 1491 CM3

POWER: 80 CV

BODY STYLE: SPIDER

 

The 1500 Spider is part of a wonderful story in which our top national car manufacturer played a starring role on the small but growing market of affordable sports vehicles.

Starting with the 1100 TV Spider version in 1955, moving on to the 1200 Trasformabile produced in 1958 and 1959, the first Fiat Spiders were not a great success. Possibly because they were too ornate, with American-style details and mechanics that were not very generous, or perhaps because the ‘economic boom’ had not yet started and the clientele had to deal with the problem of paying for their 500s and 600s and could not, therefore, think about getting a frivolous model like the Spider. Plus Fiat had some very fierce competitors in these market segments.

In order to try and partly get around this situation, in 1959 the Turin-based company purchased the production licence for a brilliant twin-cam engine by OSCA, the company founded by the Maserati brothers after they had sold their factory of the same name. This engine was broadly revised by Fiat engineers in order to adapt it for road use, for example by replacing the dry sump lubrication with a more traditional wet sump, and eliminating the magneto ignition. Notwithstanding this it remained a very generous engine, with 80 horsepower, equal to 53 horsepower/litre, compared to the 35 of the 500, the 38 of the 600 and the 41 of the 1100 D.

The result of this work was installed inside a very elegant Spider designed by Pinin Farina which removed the excessive frills from the bodywork of the 1200 and proposed a cleaner, more elegant vehicle, in its own inimitable tradition.

The 1500 Spider version with a single carburettor – like the splendid vehicle offered for auction today - was produced in 1959 and 1960 and was replaced by a more powerful version, the 1500 S with two carburettors and 90 horsepower, produced between 1969 and 1962. The final version of this line was the 1600 S produced from 1963-1966... later Fiat would occupy this niche with the 124 Spider, a vehicle which enjoyed planetary success.

The 1500 Spider presented here has just been fully restored by a specialist workshop that reconditioned every part, bringing the car to almost new condition. It represents a valid alternative to the most prevalent Milanese Spiders and features high lineage excellent performing mechanics. We are certain that it represents a fantastic occasion for anyone wishing to own a practical Italian Spider, with an important history, without having to make a large investment.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    35.000 / 45.000
4

AUSTIN HEALEY V8 SPECIAL (1962)


ORIGINAL CHASSIS NO. H-BJ7-L/20858,

RE-PUNCHED IN 2012 PT00429112PT  

BY THE CIVIL VEHICLE LICENSING AUTHORITY OF PISTOIA

 

ENGINE: V 8

DISPLACEMENT: 4700 CM3

POWER: 200 CV

BODY STYLE: ROADSTER

 

As shown on the Certificate of the British Motor Heritage Trust, this Austin Healey 3000 MkII was produced with engine no. 29F-RU-H/1656 and bodywork No. 56353, on 17 August 1967, exactly 55 years before this description was drafted. On 23 August it was sent to the United States, more precisely to the Inskip dealership in New York. Inskip had a long-standing relationship with British cars, having been – before the war – linked to Rolls-Royce of America and also being an Austin importer.

The vehicle was painted Ivory White with a black interior and top.

The story of this vehicle is unknown but we find it in Great Britain with the registration plate YSU198. It was probably imported from the USA in the 1980s or 1990s and restored. On that occasion the transformation was also carried out that makes this vehicle unique among Austin Healeys: an American V8 4.7 litre engine was mounted in the place of the six cylinder three litre one!

The result is very surprising since the V8 weighs more or less the same as the cast iron six cylinder engine, whilst the power and torque are much greater. In practice this is the same recipe followed by Bristol and Rover which adopted the generous American V8s.

In 2012 the vehicle was imported to Italy and duly tested and registered at the Civil Vehicle Licensing Authority of Pistoia. This body, noting that the chassis number was only present on the data plate, officially re-punched the vehicle, as shown by the documentation.

This ‘Special’ offers the charm of a classic British roadster with the guaranteed performance of a powerful 4,700 CC V8: it is possibly not the ideal car for a purist, but it will definitely be very fun to drive for its future owner, for a much lower investment than would be necessary for an original Austin Healey!

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    20.000 / 30.000
Price realized:  Registration
5

ALFA ROMEO 2000 SPIDER VELOCE NIKI LAUDA (1978)

 

CHASSIS N. AR115410003801

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER TWIN CAM

DISPLACEMENT: 2000 CM3

POWER: 125 CV

BODY STYLE: SPIDER PININFARINA

 

After the great success of the Giulietta and Giulia Spider, in 1966 Alfa Romeo launched a new spider based on the ‘105’ chassis, called “Duetto”. Incidentally, this name was decided with an open contest and a car was given to the entrant whose proposal had been chosen.

The design was due to Aldo Brovarone and Franco Martinengo of Pininfarina, and was to remain in production for 28 years, with constant upgrades and modifications.

For its launch Alfa Romeo let no stone unturned, and it even loaded three Spiders (white, red and green) on the Raffaello, Italy’s flagship cruiser at the time, for a sail to the US with a group of journalists.

During its long career, the Duetto was to have three official special series made: two for the American market and one for the French. The 1978 car we are showing today belongs to one of the American series, the “Niki Lauda Special Edition”, produced in just 350 numbered examples, and based on the “2000 Spider Veloce America" with Spica fuel injection (as in the Montreal).

The series was dedicated to Niki Lauda, Formula One world Champion, who in ‘78-‘79 was driving a Brabham BT46/B/C with the Alfa Romeo 12 cylinder designed by Carlo Chiti. The car had a special red and blue livery with the Team Parmalat logos and the writing “Niki Lauda F1” on the front and the back, plus the Green Cloverleafs which have been present on every special and racing Alfa since the 1920s. A special spoiler was mounted on the rear, which was to be carried over to the Third Series of the Duetto production. Finally, a metal plaque with the serial edition number and Niki Lauda’s autograph, and the ‘Millerighe’ alloy wheels, just like the Montreal’s, set these cars apart.

This car has not been used for many years, and it is complete and ready for a restoration that will give the next owner the pleasure of bringing a very rare modern Alfa Romeo back to life.

 

Estimate    30.000 / 50.000
6

AUSTIN HEALEY 3000 (1959)

CHASSIS N. H-BT7-L/3862 

 

ENGINE: 6 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 3000 CM3

POWER: 190 CV

BODY STYLE: SPIDER CON HARD-TOP

 

After the remarkable success of the Austin Healey 100, in 1959 the new six cylinder 3.0 litre model with disk brakes was presented. The range remained unchanged, with the two-seater BN7 and the BT7 2+2. The bodywork remained essentially the same: a very sporty roadster with a simple plastic top to be spread out over a small separate frame, without side windows and with just two plastic side curtains...

Between 1959 and 1961 10,825 examples were produced of the first series of the BT7 to which the vehicle presented belongs. With the subsequent MkII, which had more luxurious fittings – even including side windows! – the line of ‘hard and pure’ Austin Healey spiders cane to an end.

Unsurprisingly the Austin Healey 3000 was immediately used in competitions: both on the track, where it obtained glowing results at Sebring and Le Mans and especially in rallies: the Racing Team of the BMC (British Motors Corporation, the holding to which Austin Healey also belonged) got to work straight away to prepare the 3000 for rallies where it enjoyed great success until 1965 when all efforts were concentrated on the Mini Cooper ‘S’.

Austin Healey’s most important successes were:

- Liège-Rome-Liège 1960 and 1964

- Tulip Rallies 1962, 1963, 1964 and 1965

- Alpine Rallies 1961 and 1962

Some drivers destined for great fame like Timo Makinen got their early experience in these vehicles. We should also remember the very successful women’s team of Pat Moss (sister of a certain Stirling...) and Ann Wisdom.

Many of the modifications devised and realized during Austin Healey’s sports career were developed and refined in subsequent years and used in historic races.

The vehicle proposed, imported years ago from the United States, was carefully restored in Italy and, at the same time, transformed into a replica of the famous rally Healeys using all the spare parts still produced today by British specialists.

From a mechanical point of view, the engine has been fine-tuned with Weber carburettors and a series of internal modifications that have brought it to nearly 200 horsepower, whilst the transmission and the chassis parts have been renewed adopting methods to reinforce them.

With regard to the bodywork, a rollbar and ‘racing’ hard-top have been mounted, the interior has been made lighter, new side panels have been used including the hot air outlets from the engine compartment and, finally, the front grille has been replaced with a racing one, with special air inlets.

All the original components have, naturally, been preserved in order to make it possible and very simple to bring the car back to its standard configuration.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    50.000 / 60.000
8

PORSCHE 911 SPEEDSTER (1989)

 

CHASSIS N. WPOZZZ91ZKS 152114

 

ENGINE: REAR MOUNTED 6 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 3200 CM3

POWER: 231 CV

BODY STYLE: OPEN TURBO LOOK

 

This version of the timeless Porsche 911 was presented at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1987 but marketed in 1989.

The Speedster imitated other versions produced over the years in limited series with which Porsche sought the maximum simplicity and lightness, offering more sporty vehicles without a series of luxury accessories.

With simplified interiors and no servomechanisms, air conditioning or radio, windows with reduced thickness, even a reduction of the heat and sound absorbing materials, anything was allowed in order to obtain a Porsche that was even more direct to drive. In particular, the Speedster returned to the direction started with the homonymous version of the 356 dedicated to Californian enthusiasts.

This differed substantially from the Cabriolet due to the considerable lowering of the roof, the replacement of the top with a much simplified smaller top and the reduction of the weight of the bodywork and the fittings by foregoing the electrical system for opening the top and the windows, the absence of side quarter lights and other details that made it very lightweight (1.160 Kg. when empty) and considerably improved the performance compared to the traditional version.

In fact the Speedster recorded acceleration times of 6.1 sec. from 0 to 100 Km/h and 27.1 from 0 to 200 Km/h, times worthy of vehicles with engines with a much greater displacement and higher power. 2,065 examples were produced, plus 63 right-hand drive models.

As usual at Porsche, even the lowest level fittings resulted in a heavy overcharge and today – given the limited production - this equation remains valid.

Our vehicle is the property of an enthusiastic Porsche owner who has carried out the periodic maintenance of the car, driving it with the unmistakable style of those who love this type of motor. It has electrically adjustable seats which are rare and also contrast with the search for simplicity and lightness.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    170.000 / 200.000
9

ALFA ROMEO 6C 2300 TURISMO (1935)

 

CHASSIS N. 710566

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 6 CYLINDER TWIN-CAM

DISPLACEMENT: 2309 CM3

POWER: 68 CV

BODY STYLE: SALOON “SOFFIO DI SATANA” BY TOURING

 

ALFA ROMEO

Cavaliere Vittorio Jano (1891-1965) was a pivotal figure in Italian Motoring history: the protagonist of the great season of Fiat victories in the 1920s, he shaped Alfa Romeo and made it the most loved, envied and desired Italian brand in the world in the years between the two world wars. He also made the rebirth of Lancia possible after the death of the Founder and brought it the highest sporting honours, and made an important contribution to the creation of the Ferrari legend.

Dr. Giuseppe Merosi was Alfa Romeo’s technical manager in the early 1920s. In 1920 a young driver joined the team, a certain Enzo Ferrari from Modena.

It was Ferrari who contacted Jano and convinced him to leave Fiat and join Alfa Romeo. Later he would say of him: “- ... he was a man of great ability with great technical intuition. He was not a mathematician but he was particularly cultured having trained as a simple high-school technician. But he had the humility to contact ... a professor of mathematics in Milan who kept him up-to-date on all the calculations that might be necessary to him ...-“ (Le Alfa Romeo di Vittorio Jano, A.T. Anselmi e V. Moretti, Autocritica, 1982).

The Portello plant was one of the most advanced factories in the industry particularly with regard to the foundry, the precision mechanics and the use of alloys and special processing. As soon as he arrived there, in 1922, Jano got to work and the first thing he produced was immediately a masterpiece: the P2 which, by winning the European and World Championships, resulted in the laurel wreath being added to the Alfa Romeo viscount Brand logo. Soon afterwards the 6C 1500 model was born, starting the highly successful family of touring, sports and racing vehicles that would continue until the early 1950s with the 6C 2500, to which the 6C 2300 we are auctioning today belongs.

THE 6C 2300

Various versions of the 6C 1500 were developed and it was transformed into the 1750, 1900, 2300 and, finally, the 2500. In parallel, the fabulous 8C 2300 and 2900 were born and recognized as the best sports cars in the world.

The 6C 2300 model that we are looking at first saw the light at the Milan Motor Show in 1934, following the many years of sporting and commercial success of the previous series. Whilst originating from the previous 6C vehicles, this version arose from a totally new design in which the distribution, still moved with double overhead cams, was chain-driven and no longer gear-driven in order to offer greater silence and reliability. The gearbox had a synchronized third and fourth gear and an interesting ‘free wheel’ mechanism that had been tested on the 1900. The front suspension was the same as on the prestigious 8C 2300. It was the last Alfa Romeo to have rigid axles and leaf spring suspensions which were abandoned on the subsequent 6C 2300B version.

THE CARROZZERIA

The 6C 2300 was conceived with a less sporty manner compared to the previous models and often featured comfortable, spacious bodywork rather than being racy. The bodywork of many of the cars was fitted in-house, whilst others were “dressed” by the top specialists of the time such as Castagna, Pinin Farina, or Touring. Thanks to this coachbuilders, the 6C 2300 received many prestigious awards at the Concours d’ Elegance of the time, including the Pincio in Rome, the Valentino in Turin and, naturally, at Villa d’Este.

Carrozzeria Touring was founded in Milan in 1926 by Felice Bianchi Anderloni and Gaetano Ponzoni, two professionals from the upper Milanese bourgeoisie, who managed to interpret the town’s characteristics of reserved yet self-assured elegance better than anyone. It was the youngest bodywork company in the post-war period: in fact, in 1934, when it realized the vehicle presented here, it was only eight years old. However in those eight short years it had already established itself as one of the most important Italian and global designers, capable of offering innovation in terms of both aesthetics and technology.

For Bianchi Anderloni line and technique always went hand in hand: in fact he was one of the first people to study the effects of aerodynamics on vehicle efficiency, as well as on fashion and public tastes, as is evident from a study of the unusual bodywork, christened “Soffio di Satana” (Devil’s Breath) that characterizes this car. It offers a glimpse of foreign inspiration from France and even from the Chrysler Airflow, however the success of this body style lies in the perfection of the volumes and in the simple elegance, without any pointless frills.

This is an early example of the ‘Sports Saloon’, halfway between the heavy six light saloons of the time and the coupé models, and perfectly interprets the Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 Turismo chassis. Only two of these cars were built, one of which is here in front of you today.

THE 6C 2300 NO.710.556 AND ITS UNIQUE STORY

This example was known about but believed to have disappeared according to historians featuring, amongst others, Angelo Tito Anselmi and Carlo Felice Bianchi Anderloni, who discussed it in various books they curated including “Le Alfa Romeo di Vittorio Jano” and “Carrozzeria Touring”, both published in 1982.

People only believed that the vehicle had disappeared because its owner never used it for rallies, shows and elegance contests, but rather kept it jealously to himself for over fifty years.

Having described the car, its technical and stylistic features and its lineage, we now have the thankless task of writing a few notes about this vehicle’s first owner, a man whose influence was second to none not just in the small history of this automobile, but in the History of this entire Country, not to mention of Literature.

The original registration documents that accompany this Alfa Romeo certify that it was sold by the Company, on 12/4/1935, to Commander Gabriele d’Annunzio, Prince of Montenevoso.

It is certainly not up to us to describe the Man and his life, it is enough to say that in 1935 he had experienced very many battles – some real and others just described by him, and that he lived in his castle-mausoleum in Gardone Riviera receiving all types of personalities, just like a Ruler. A 72 year old man, which was a good age at that time, especially for someone who had always lived life to the full.

D’Annunzio had always loved beautiful cars and Alfa Romeos in particular. At times he entertained his neighbour from Mantova, Nuvolari, and they talked about engines... and possibly about other things as well. It was D’Annunzio who, many years earlier, decreed that “Cars are female”.

In addition to Alfa Romeos, he loved and often used Isotta Fraschini vehicles, one of which is still preserved at the Vittoriale. Many of them were sold by his son, Gabriellino, who represented the Milanese Company in the United States. Therefore we can say that, unlike many other more ascetic artists, he – a lover of beauty and luxury - knew and loved beautiful cars, and definitely used them as part of that whole symbological display that increased his aura and fame.

The Alfa Romeo we are presenting today was therefore in use at the Vittoriale in the last three years of the Bard’s life. It was used for personal trips and for welcoming some guests at the Desenzano station. With regard to the former, very few of these have been recorded since they were often clandestine, but many took d’Annunzio to Verona to meet the publisher Arnoldo Mondadori in order to check on the production of his books and ask for advance payments; Piero Chiara, in his “Vita di Gabriele d’Annunzio” (Mondadori, 1978) recounts as an example that, on 26 August 1937, d’Annunzio went to collect Ugo Ojetti (a journalist, scholar and Italian Academic), but also that the planned trip to Venice the next day was cancelled due to his weakness. Possibly one of the last journeys was the one at the end of July 1937, around six months before his death, which took the Bard, accompanied by his close collaborator Moroni, to Parma and to Verona.

The copious documentation accompanying the vehicle includes an extremely valuable notebook, the “Ruolino di Marcia” [Route Log] where the kilometres driven and the maintenance work carried out are all noted down.

The following information is provided:

- 2/7/36 13,625

- 11/8/36 15,974

- 14/9/36 17,629

- 23/12/36 21,254

- 8/2/37 24,290

- 20/4/37 27,259

- 22/6/37 30,008

- 17/8/37 33,024

- 7/9/37 35,305

- 15/10/37 37,740

- 9/11/37 40,760

- 15/1/38 43,090

- 1/5/39 47,120

Considering the state of the Bard’s health, it would be reasonable to think that most of the driving, or a significant part of the same, involved – more than travel by the Bard himself - errands, the transporting of guests and the delivering of messages that the illustrious owner produced and received in great quantities and that it was often not prudent to entrust to the services of the Italian Royal Mail.

However this “Ruolino di Marcia” also gives us an idea of how the Alfa Romeo was used quite regularly and carefully looked after: each date corresponds to an oil change and, on one occasion, the grinding of the valves. In the spring of 1937 the “Fondazione del Vittoriale degli Italiani”, was set up in agreement with the Bard who intended it “to save the Vittoriale from the clutches of greedy and cynical heirs” (Chiara, op. cit.), and the ownership of the Alfa Romeo was transferred to this Fondazione on 17/2/1940. However on 5th August 1946 the Alfa Romeo was purchased by the Società Autotrasporti Industriali of Busto Arsizio, thus losing its original number plate - BS 10764 - and acquiring the VA 18580 number plate that it still has today.

In April 1963 the 6C 2300 was purchased by two young brothers from Castellanza, in the province of Varese who have kept and looked after the vehicle until now. This car became part of their family life and was used rarely for special occasions or family ceremonies: for this reason it remained off the radar to traders and collectors and today is being presented again to a world which, in the meantime, had consigned its first owner to history and has recognized the value of great cars and, in particular, those like this one that have maintained their total originality and are, therefore, able to convey the work and brilliance of the people who created them to future generations.

The vehicle is completely original except for the speedometer which was replaced many years ago with a similar Jaeger one that has a white rather than black dial. It has never been resprayed or refinished, but the pillarless ‘suicide’ rear doors still work perfectly after eighty-three years and are impeccably aligned: recognition of the high value of the work of the Carrozzeria Touring engineers.

This Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 Turismo, with its wonderful “Soffio di Satana” Touring bodywork, original condition and exclusive history, is a uniquely rare car that would enrich any collection. It is a vehicle which can be immediately projected to the highest and most exclusive levels of collecting and events dedicated to the same, guaranteeing the next future lucky owner a place in the limelight anywhere, from the Mille Miglia to Pebble Beach, not to mention Villa d’Este.

For an enthusiast and collector of D’Annunzio memorabilia, this offers a unique occasion to own a car that belonged to the Commander – seeing as it is unlikely that the vehicles displayed at the Vittoriale will ever leave the Fondazione - and to use a vehicle that once transported the Bard and many other people, some of whom have passed into history and others who have been carefully concealed, people who kept d’Annunzio company at the end of his life. A life that was planned and lived like a Work of Art, just like the Alfa Romeo you have before you.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    500.000 / 700.000
Price realized:  Registration
10

FERRARI TESTAROSSA (1988)

 

CHASSIS N. ZFFSG17A5K0079436

 

ENGINE: 12 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 4942 CM3

POWER: 380 CV A 8250 G/M

BODY STYLE: BERLINETTA PININFARINA – SCAGLIETTI

 

This car represented a ground breaking style novelty, while technically it was an evolution of the BB512. It had been designed by Leonardo Fioravanti for Pininfarina.

With the Testarossa the fundamental rules of design had been changed, starting from the repositioning of the radiators from the front to their middle-side locations. This was due to the desire to concentrate the masses in the central part of the car, to help its dynamics and to avoid long passages of warm water along the car: as a result it changed completely the importance of the front grille and created the need for big lateral ones.

The Pininfarina breakthrough was to transform the air intake into a styling statement: the Testarossa’s horizontal side grilles became a must of the ‘80s.

This model, in its various versions, was produced from 1984 to 1996, and therefore it will always remain in the Ferrari Pantheon as the top car that spanned the period of the change in leadership from Enzo Ferrari to Luca di Montezemolo.

The car we are presenting today is part of the second series produced from 1984, with two outside rear view mirrors and the five-stud wheels. The whole body is made in alluminium, apart from the doors and roof, which were in steel to enhance passive safety.

Technically the Testarossa, like the previous BB, was Formula One inspired, with a central flat-12: no other manufacturer has ever made something like that.

With this car Ferrari started to give its cars richer interiors, as the catalogue said: “- ...with an excellent comfort and a richness of features similar to that of the most prestigious saloons... The passenger compartment is entirely lined in leather: the list of accessories is very complete, among which the automatic air conditioner and a top level radio set –“

The production ended in 1996, and with it the line of 12 cylinder mid engine Ferraris: the following GTs went back to a front-central engine position, with meant also the end for the very special 180. boxer engine.

For sure, there will never be another car like the Testarossa, with its uncompromised technical specification and its unique line.

The car on offer today was built for the American market and therefore it already has a catalytic converter: it is a very interesting and tempting specimen as it only had two owners and was driven but 20,000 kms. It has always received the very important mechanical checks and upgrades and it is therefore in very good condition.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    80.000 / 120.000
11

DAIMLER DB 18 SPECIAL SPORTS (1951)

 

CHASSIS N. D59029

 

ENGINE: 6 CYLINDERS

DISPLACEMENT: 2500 CM3

POWER: 85 CV

BODY STYLE: CABRIOLET BARKER

 

Enthusiasts will remember this German-sounding Brand because of one of the most British of English cars. In fact in the early days of motoring, a company called Daimler was established in order to import the first small cars built by the German works of the same name into the United Kingdom. Following a series of vicissitudes, the British company grew whilst the German one joined Benz and subsequently disappeared when the Merceds-Benz brand was adopted. Today, however, the Daimler name is still used for the German Group’s Holding Company, one of the most important European industrial concerns.

Apart from these company complications, British Daimler soon became the vehicle of choice for the Royal Family and was used exclusively by four monarchs. It lost this privilege before the war when a Company that was not as old but was better organized began to propose its limousines to Buckingham Palace.

Technically, the pre-war Daimler was an excellent car, certainly never sporty and always rather formal: it should, however, be noted that in 1926 it was the first European automobile to mount a V12 engine. In any case, for many years, Daimler produced impressive in-line eight cylinder cars. Immediately after the war, along with a series of other companies in the sector (including the glorious Hooper and Barker coachbuilders), Daimler joined the “British Small Arms” Holding: however the relaunch project did not come about and, in 1960, it was taken over by Jaguar that needed the plant in order to expand its own, neighbouring one. Since then some particularly luxurious versions of the Jaguar saloons were called Daimlers.

The vehicle presented is an example of an innovative series of medium-sized cars fitted with a six cylinder engine of just 2500 cc, presented just before the war, but practically only available on the market after the hostilities were over.

The Special Sports version had two carburettors that increased the power from 60 to 85 horsepower; it also had a sophisticated Wilson pre-selector gearbox and free wheel system. What made these vehicles unique was the bodywork that, stylistically and technologically, was still anchored in the splendour of the 1930s: realized by Barker, one of the oldest specialists, it was like a bespoke suit from Savile Row. Only 608 examples were built and it was enhanced by a folding top which could only be opened completely, or partially above the front passengers, whilst the rear part stayed in place.

Some curious details include the third transverse rear seat that could be positioned to the right or the left according to the panorama...

The vehicle proposed today was purchased and imported by an Italian collector in London in 2000.

Restored in the 1970s and then again at the beginning of the third millennium, this beautiful, traditional “three position Cabriolet” is a very rare vehicle – possibly unique in Italy- with a very well-documented history. It is in excellent condition although, naturally, it will need improvements if the new owner wishes to use it to take part in meetings and Elegance Competitions where it would certainly cut a very fine figure.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    22.000 / 30.000
Price realized:  Registration
12

ISO RIVOLTA 300GT 1. SERIE (1964)

 

CHASSIS N. 410510

 

ENGINE: V 8 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 5300 CM3

POWER: 300 CV

BODY STYLE: COUPE’ 2+2

 

The story of the Iso Rivolta is a typical one of entrepreneurship in Italy in the Fifties and Sixties. On an essentially still open market (from a technical rather than fiscal point of view) there was space for whoever had the possibility and enterprise to launch themselves into the construction of high luxury cars. Renzo Rivolta, with his solid background in the textiles sector, had founded a mechanical company which at first produced thermo-hydraulic systems and subsequently lightweight motorbikes and the famous Isetta bubble-car.

In the early 1960s he was among the people who, noticing the high performance of the mass-produced American engines, thought of combining them with an Italian line to create a high class hybrid. The Iso Rivolta was launched in 1962 with the successful bodywork realized by Bertone and the essential contribution of the young Giorgetto Giugiaro: in fact it was the first car completely designed by him.

Technically it had a brilliant chassis, realized with the contribution of Giotto Bizzarrini, with independent front suspension and De Dion rear axle. The engine was a 5300 CC V8 Chevrolet, the same as the one mounted on the Corvette, specifically tuned and with special pistons, cylinders and conrods, as per Bizzarrini’s brief, available in a 300 or 340 horsepower version.

It was precisely this engine which guaranteed absolute performances, making it possible for Iso to obtain a very advantageous price positioning. In Italy the Iso Rivolta cost almost 5,550,000 Lire, a good one million less than the comparable Ferrari 250 GTE.

The Iso Rivolta offered a highly successful compromise between interior spaciousness and the comfort of a luxury saloon and sports vehicle without any compromises, with extremely reliable mechanics that did not require the constant attention to which the owners of other Italian thoroughbreds were accustomed.

For these reasons it was immediately very successful in both Europe and the United States where the fact of having a ‘local’ engine made it easier to manage. In Italy it also found some regular clients who wanted a top vehicle but that was not as recognizable as a Ferrari. Many captains of industry had one, and one in particular, Giannino Marzotto, the winner of two Mille Miglia races, really knew his sports cars!

The vehicle presented here, which has just been subjected to very careful restoration, was purchased in 1964 by a big company in the textiles sector which is still a worldwide leader of Italian Style, undoubtedly for the personal use of the owner, and was registered in the province of Vercelli. The second owner re-registered the car in Milan which is why the number plate is slightly more recent; in any case a “period correct” number plate as well as the original documents is very rare thing for a type of vehicle that, in the years in which it was simply a second-hand car, was generally purchased by foreign enthusiasts.

It is not common to find an Iso Rivolta on the market and this example, restored to perfection thanks to the intervention of many specialists who originally worked at Iso (among which Iso Restoration – the workshop of Mr. Negri the Iso Rivolta test driver), represents a special opportunity to purchase a vehicle whose gestation was accompanied by two of the most celebrated protagonists of Italian motoring. With its history and documentation complete right from the first day, its original black number plates and important provenance, this is without doubt the definitive Iso Rivolta.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    120.000 / 160.000
13

CARBODIES TAXI (1989)

 

CHASSIS N. FX4N/DR/00070689

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER DIESEL NISSAN TD27

DISPLACEMENT: 2664 CM3

POWER: 85 CV

BODY STYLE: LIMOUSINE

 

Car enthusiasts who have visited London even just once will carry the memory – in addition to the beautiful sports and luxury cars driving around the city centre – of two vehicles that have become part of the urban landscape: the red double-decker bus and the typical black Taxis.

The “Black Cab” is directly descended from the public carriage and throughout motoring history London has had its ‘official Taxis’ that have to adhere to a whole series of specific rules: for example, a very small steering circle, so that it was possible to make a U-turn in even in the narrowest street. This evolution led to vehicles being purposely designed and built because the taxi market was big enough to justify such an investment.

The vehicle that we are proposing today is one of the models that remained in production and service for the longest period on the streets of London. Built by Carbodies, a company that is part of the big Manganese Bronze industrial Group, it is a car built to “eat up” millions of kilometres with the maximum reliability and comfort for both the driver and passengers.

Ever since the years preceding the Second World War, taxis only had one seat in the front next to which there was a large space for placing luggage, and a spacious rear compartment with a bench seat for three passengers and two additional jump seats. A glass divider made it possible to maintain a certain amount of privacy and separation between the person working in the front, and the person who was, presumably, enjoying the trip in the back.

This type of Taxi began its career in 1958 as the FX3 model, which then became the FX4 and, from 1982, was rechristened the LTI Fairway and began to mount the Nissan TD27 engine and automatic gear, like the vehicle proposed here.

This taxi which, naturally, is right-hand drive, is in excellent condition and has a modest mileage, as testified by the perfect state of the interior and all the points that are normally subject to wear and tear.

It has been registered in Italy and represents a rare opportunity to purchase a symbolic vehicle, but also a potential advertising tool for various kinds of commercial businesses.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    8.000 / 12.000
14

c

 

CHASSIS N. IB3BR65E9TV100516

 

ENGINE: V10

DISPLACEMENT: 8000 CM3

POWER: 418 CV

BODY STYLE: ROADSTER

 

At the end of the 1980s the Chrysler Corporation, on which the Jeep, Dodge and Plymouth brands also depended, went through a prosperous period led by two true “car guys”: Lee Iacocca, the former head of Ford, and Robert ‘Bob’ Lutz who was of Swiss origin, an ex Marine, a racing car and motorcycle driver, and a helicopter and fighter jet pilot in his free time.

This expert and enthusiastic team decided to create an extreme car that would be positioned at the top of the company’s range and of the US sports car market.

During that period Chrysler had control of Lamborghini which was entrusted with creating an exaggerated engine, starting from the existing ten cylinder base used on the higher version of the Dodge pick up.

This engine, with its rather traditional architecture (pushrod distribution) was in practice a larger version of the classic American V8, the best representative of which had for years been the Chrysler ‘Hemi’. Lamborghini’s work concentrated on realizing the engine block in a light alloy and developing it for sports use.

After the 1989 prototype, the standard version went on sale in 1992 with a forecast production of just 200 cars: just the fact that it was only available with “stick shift” (no automatic gearbox could cope with its very strong torque), made it a vehicle destined only for people who understood proper sportscars.

With acceleration from zero to a 60 mph in around 4.5 seconds, the Dodge Viper had a tubular chassis and composite material bodywork. It was a car that combined tried and tested technologies with other very advanced ones and that did not attempt to please everyone: in the early years, for example, it did not feature ABS, airbags or air conditioning. It had noisy side exhausts... although on the versions destined for the European market – where it was sold as the Chrysler Viper - these were made to exit at the rear. There were no windows, just the curtains which were already obsolete on the MG Midget forty years earlier, and a rather controversial soft top; the interior was very basic because the whole car had been designed for performance rather than for comfort and luxury...

Things began to change in 1995 with the introduction of air conditioning and, above all, a stunning Coupé version, the Viper GTS, which was to offer the comfort required by those intending to seriously use this car.

DODGE VIPER PRODUCTION

1992 162

1993 1043

1994 3083

The Viper was thus always a niche product within the big numbers of the US industry, but the version we are presenting today, produced in 1997, characterized by its particular chromatic details and increased power, was produced in even smaller numbers: only 116.

This example, unique in Italy, was made available by its enthusiastic owner as an official Pace Car for the European NASCAR races which is why it now bears a number of stickers from the series Sponsors.

In perfect condition, the vehicle can easily be returned to a ‘civilian’ version and used on the road, where it can be driven without any problem as it has been duly registered with an Italian registration.

As we write, in mid-August 2017, the Viper production has come to an end: one more reason to purchase one of these motor cars which will surely rise in value in the future.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    90.000 / 120.000
15

FERRARI 308 GTSi (1981)

 

CHASSIS N. ZFFHA02B000038019

 

ENGINE: CENTRAL/TRANSVERSAL V 65. 8 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 2926 CM3

POWER: 240 CV A 7.500 G/M

BODY STYLE: APERTA PININFARINA/SCAGLIETTI

 

The Ferrari 308 was created in 1975: the body style was the work of Pininfarina led by Leonardo Fioravanti, even though it was manufactured by the Scaglietti coachbuilder in Modena. The first model was the Berlinetta and was presented, according to tradition, at the Paris Motor Show: it was an immediate success, the double overhead cam 4 carburettor Weber DC40CNF engine had over 250 HP, and could accelerate from 0 to 100 Km/h in 6.5 sec. for a maximum speed of more than 250 Km/h.

In 1977, at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the open version was presented. This differed from the previous one because it had a removable roof and reinforcements to the structure which was obviously less rigid than the Berlinetta. In 1980 the wet sump lubrication was introduced in the place of the dry sump as well as a Bosch K-Jetronic injection system to reduce consumption and polluting emissions, the same motorisation as the example we are presenting here.

The 308 series, in all its versions, spanned the wave of the 1980s, fully developing, from both an image as well as a commercial viewpoint, the line of ‘small’ Ferraris introduced with the six cylinder Dino. It was such a success that the 8 Cylinder line became – and continues to be - the Maranello plant’s most important line compared to the 12 cylinder one.

Its success was due, naturally to the excellent technical design and splendid line, as well as the good mix of sporting results and media visibility.

In 1982 the tuner Michelotto realized a GTB rally version for the French importer Charles Pozzi which won the Tour de France Auto whilst the Facetti /Finotto crew took part with a twin-turbo group 5 vehicle in the 24 hours of Daytona, which set a record lap. In terms of notoriety, the vehicle became very popular all over the world thanks to the TV series “Magnum P.I.” in which it was used by the star Tom Sellek.

The example proposed today has been jealously preserved and sparingly used by its enthusiast owner. It has been constantly subjected to all the necessary maintenance interventions and is presented in perfect condition.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    70.000 / 100.000
16

FIAT 509 (1929)

 

CHASSIS N. 253474

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 990 CM3

POWER: 22 CV

BODY STYLE: TORPEDO/TOURER

 

The 509 had the difficult task of succeeding the 501, possibly the first real popular Fiat, almost 67,000 examples of which were produced between 1919 and 1926. Very solid, simple and generous the 501 interpreted and contributed to the recovery after the First World War, bringing many middle to high class Italians closer to motoring.

One of the many merits of the 501 was that it permitted Fiat to cover the whole national territory with a rich network of Dealers and Workshops and to start considering a series of modern commercial strategies.

Designed based on the experience with the 501, already in 1925 the 509 was equipped with a four cylinder engine with overhead camshaft and valves which was quite modern for the time. With a displacement of just 990 cc, versus the 1500 of the 501, the 509 supplied the same power mainly thanks to its higher revs, increased from 2600 to 3400 revolutions per minute: thus it was a more modern engine, whereas the previous one was still very much tied to the pioneering pre-war model.

Naturally the 509 was produced with a series of body styles, but the most popular ones were the Tourer and the Saloon, both with two doors. Weighing just 1085 Kg, the Tourer reached a top speed of 78 km/h. In order to facilitate the diffusion of the new model, Fiat set up an organization for financing purchases: the SAVA, which was very successful and continued until just a few years ago, later coming together with the FCA Bank.

The 509 Tourer that we are presenting for auction today has belonged for forty-one years to a Florentine collector and was completely restored twenty or so years ago. It has been used very little in recent years and is, therefore, presented in the ideal condition of a vehicle that has been restored but is not too ‘sparkling’, and is ready – for a very modest investment – to offer its new owner the chance to experience the priceless joy of Vintage motoring.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    10.000 / 15.000
Price realized:  Registration
17

FIAT 500 C GIARDINIERA BELVEDERE (1953)

 

CHASSIS N. 434557

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 569 CM3

POWER: 22 CV

BODY STYLE: STATION WAGON

 

Launched in August 1936, 83,266 examples of the Fiat 500, immediately privately nicknamed the “Topolino” (Mickey Mouse) because of its headlights that recalled the ears of the Walt Disney character, were produced before the war and another 38,750 between the end of hostilities and 1948. Modified, improved and renamed the “500 B”, another 21,262 examples were produced over the two year period 1948-‘49.

Therefore when the 500 C was launched in 1949 it was already a tried and tested model of which over 140,000 examples had been produced for around a full ten years: it was undoubtedly the greatest Italian motorcar success to date.

However the project’s creator, the brilliant Dante Giacosa, still had a series of improvements in store that would see the light in the definitive and more modern version - the 500 C - which joined the Italian motorcar stage from 1949 to 1954, 376,368 examples of which were produced, a volume hitherto unimaginable. This result was due to the improvements made to the product and, above all, to the manufacturing process. In fact, immediately after the war the big American manufacturers gave Fiat advice and technology, without forgetting the funding provided by the Marshall Plan.

Thus the bodywork was simplified without making it uglier, with many more common parts shared between the various versions. The “Giardiniera Belvedere”, which was born as the “B” in 1948, abandoned the complex and delicate sides in a mixture of metal, wood and Masonite in order to adopt a one-piece pressed steel panel that made the production of the body much quicker and simple and the finished product more solid, safe and durable.

The Giardiniera, which was created to get around the main drawback of the saloon, the tiny space inside the passenger compartment, could accommodate four people and a bit of luggage: luckily the Italians of the time were shorter and thinner than us and were used to traveling light! In this way the Giardiniera was able to satisfy the requirements of young families as well as the professional needs of the many small companies being set up in those years.

In all the 500C Giardiniera managed to perfectly fill a segment of the market where demand was very high and competition inexistent.

Mechanically speaking the Topolino has always been a jewel with its overhead valve distribution, lightweight structure (600 kg!), hydraulic brakes and many features which, until then, had only been seen on vehicles of a superior class. It could easily be adapted and tuned for racing: in fact, many a Topolino car has taken part in the Mille Miglia or donated its mechanical parts in order to produce those ‘Specials’: racing cars realized by many mechanics, garage owners and engineers all over Italy and beyond.

The 500 that we are offering at today’s auction was owned for many years by a Tuscan Fiat employee and underwent careful restoration of the mechanics and bodywork a few years ago. It was subsequently used very little and, therefore, today is in optimal condition having just been restored but already having developed a light patina.

This Topolino will offer the purchaser the chance to enjoy a protagonist of Italian motoring and lifestyle: in fact numerous examples of these cars appeared in the great Italian movies of the 1950s and 1960s.

Moreover it is also admitted to all the most important events, starting with the legendary Mille Miglia and is, therefore, able to also offer very exclusive satisfaction.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but since it has not been used for a long time, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    14.000 / 18.000
Price realized:  Registration
18

JAGUAR XK 140 OTS (1956)

 

CHASSIS N. 813056

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 6 CYLINDER, TWIN-CAM

DISPLACEMENT: 3400 CM3

POWER: 210 CV

BODY STYLE: ROADSTER

 

At the 1948 London Motor Show Jaguar presented the prototype of a sports vehicle that was destined to arouse a lot of interest, particularly in its new twin-cam engine, to be mounted on a saloon car that was scheduled to be launched soon after.

The prototype XK120 was so successful that Jaguar was forced to hurriedly put it into production without being able to develop and improve a project that had been prepared and designed for just a very small series.

During the production of the XK120, all the improvements from which the vehicle would have benefitted in terms of comfort, drivability or even simplicity of production and maintenance, were concentrated on the subsequent model - the XK140 - of which we are today proud to propose an excellent example. Built between 1954 and 1957, the XK 140 OTS (Open Two Seater) of which just 3281 were left-hand drive models, is much rarer than the XK 120 with left-hand drive, of which 6437 were built.

The vehicle proposed here, chassis N. 813056, was manufactured on 6/12/56 and sent to the Jaguar Arnolt dealership in Chicago. It is important to note that some of the original documents are also supplied with the car including the certificate of Origin from the Jaguar Heritage Trust, the shipping bill, a series of tags present on the car upon delivery and the purchase invoice.

‘Wacky’ Arnolt was a famous character in the world of sports cars and racing on the East Coast of America: amongst other things he inspired a series of cars with English mechanics and bodywork realized in Turin by Bertone, which still today make him a protagonist in the auto collectors’ world. Therefore the documented origins increase the value of this Jaguar.

Mechanically speaking, the XK 140 was very similar to the 120, but the vehicle offered here is part of the group of XK 140 cars ordered with the “Type C” head derived directly from those used on the Jaguar C Type cars – multi-winners at Le Mans. These heads gave the engine better breathing, increasing the power from 190 to 210 horsepower and bringing the classic six cylinder XK closer to that of a racing car, even though it has only two carburetors. The steering was completely revamped to give a more modern level of drivability. The rear lever arm shock absorbers were replaced by two telescopic units: much more cutting edge and high performing. With regard to the bodywork, the XK 140 had bigger bumpers and a decidedly more comfortable passenger compartment also thanks to the repositioning of the engine and the modifications to the steering wheel and seats.

The vehicle offered was imported to Italy many years ago and purchased by the current owner around six years ago. It has always been kept in excellent condition and has undergone some modifications to increase performance and safety including a direct stainless steel exhaust system with ‘bunch of bananas’ manifold. Used for leisure purposes and on the occasion of some regularity rallies, the vehicle presents itself very well and has a red leather interior that – having been renewed some years ago – now offers the right ‘patina’, this car is eligible for the Mille Miglia.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    80.000 / 120.000
Price realized:  Registration
19

JAGUAR 340 (1968)

 

CHASSIS N. 1J/80195DN

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 6 CYLINDER, TWIN-CAM

DISPLACEMENT: 3400 CM3

POWER: 210 CV

BODY STYLE: SPORTS SALOON

 

In the early ’50s, Jaguar – under the skilful direction of Sir William Lyons - transformed itself from a small specialist company into a regular motorcar industry.

Key to this development was the remarkable XK engine designed during the war and launched in 1948, and the line of compact saloons. This line was inaugurated by the “2.4 litre” version in 1955 which was then retroactively called the ‘Mk I’ following the release of the ‘MK II’ in 1959.

The Mk II, produced with 2400, 3400 and 3800 cc. engines, was a great success, to the extent that a total of 82,208 examples were produced.

The vehicle proposed here is part of the final series of the Mk II, and was more simply called the ‘340’. Only produced from 1967 to 1969, the 340 stopped at 2,655 units and is therefore one of the rarest versions of the compact saloon from Coventry.

The Mk II undoubtedly represents one of the best-loved masterpieces of Sir William Lyons. With this car, Lyons had reinvented the Sport Saloon. There had certainly been many vehicles worthy of this definition, but the Mk II managed to combine the small dimensions (it was 4.59 meters long) with good interior comfort and a performance that was exceptional for the period thanks to the powerful six cylinder twin-cam engine. As a result of these qualities, the Mk II distinguished itself in many competitions on the road - the Monte Carlo Rally and Tour de France amongst others - and on the track.

The final series, of which this vehicle is part, was only offered with displacements of 2400 and 3400, and thus called the 240 and 340.

In the best tradition of all car manufacturers, towards the end of production, an attempt is made to boost sales by offering an end of series version at a more economic price. In the case of the Mk II this was achieved by simplifying some of the finishes like the bumpers and interior woodwork and, above all, by equipping the vehicles with an imitation leather interior. However, in practice, these characteristics were limited to the British market of fleet sales: in export markets like Italy, where the numbers were lower and the distribution was managed privately, the vehicles were ordered with all the options, basically bringing them back to the previous level of finishing. This vehicle, in addition to the leather interior, even has the Overdrive and air conditioning!

Jaguars were very rare in Italy in the 1960s: just think that in 1965, 1966 and 1967 around 260 Jaguars were sold per year, in 1968 just 190, and 561 in 1969. So the vehicle proposed here belongs to the year in which the number of Jaguars sold in Italy was at a historic low, after 1960.

This fact already makes it very special and rare, but the story of this vehicle makes it a truly unique object: it was purchased by a young man from Milan who used and maintained the car for over forty years and then sold it to a friend who had long admired it. After moving to a splendid estate in the Chianti district, the Jaguar was only used on special occasions.

It therefore represents a unique opportunity to obtain a totally original car which has only had two owners and has always been impeccably maintained.

I myself drove it to Florence and the vehicle was in great shape: the engine turns over very well, the gearbox is perfect (it is the 4 gear Jaguar box with synchro and Overdrive) and the brakes respond well. It is a vehicle that, after an attentive service, will be ready to face any test.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but since it has not been used for the last three years, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    20.000 / 30.000
Price realized:  Registration
20

CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE (1973)

 

CHASSIS N. 6L67530424258

 

ENGINE: V8

DISPLACEMENT: 8200 CM3

POWER: 335 CV

BODY STYLE: CABRIOLET

 

General Motors’ luxury brand was founded in 1902, and it was given the name of the French explorer who, 200 years before, had founded the City on the Strait, or “la Ville d’Etroit”, which was to become the hub of the automotive industry: Detroit.

In 1908 Cadillac became part of the growing GM empire.

Before the war, Cadillac mainly produced high end chassis (often with 12- and even 16-cylinder engines) bound to be clothed by the specialist coachbuilders, but in the 1950s –after the establishment of GM’s Styling Centre- even Cadillacs were completely built in house.

The most expensive versions were called Eldorado, which reminded the infinite richness of the pre-Columbian centro-american civilizations.

In the early ‘70s even Cadillac adopted front wheel drive, in order to create the roomiest possible passenger compartment, building what probably were the biggest fwds in history.

The 1973 Cadillac Eldorado that we show you today has a huge eight-liter V8: probably the highest displacement seen in that period on a series production motor car. This car has been kept with great care, being driven just 40,000 miles, which for a car like this is practically the run-in mileage.

It belongs to a small series of cars that were built with the same specs as the Eldorado used as a Pace Car ay the 1973 Indy 500.

The big American Cabriolets have a place in our culture due to the many American films as well as the Dolce Vita appearances: none is better than this sumptuous Cadillac Eldorado to recreate those experiences. Still today, one of the ultimate automotive experiences must be driving a car like this without any hurry, taking the views, the sea’s smell and the sunset light in.

This Cadillac, which was built regardless of cost and sold more expensive than a Rolls-Royce, will give its next owner the pleasure to own something exclusive, and the highest expression of the American Automobile.

The car still has its American plate, but is regularly imported and duty-paid in Europe and can be easily registered.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    22.000 / 28.000
22

LANCIA GAMMA 2000 COUPE’ (1979)

 

CHASSIS N. 002843

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 2000 CM3

POWER: 120 CV

BODY STYLE: COUPE’ PININFARINA

 

After Lancia was acquired by Fiat in 1969, once production of the existing models–the Flavia and the Fulvia - was exhausted, the commitment of the Turin-based Company was concentrated on the Beta in all its versions. They lacked a top of the range vehicle but, by 1970, the gestation had already begun at Lancia of the new premium class saloon that was initially supposed to share some features with the Citroën CX since negotiations were underway for the acquisition of the French brand.

The new vehicle would be called the Gamma and would be very innovative thanks to the extremely modern two box bodywork designed together with Pininfarina and its four cylinder boxer engine, i.e. a 180. vee, which was very balanced and supplied with a great torque.

In a completely independent way with respect to Lancia’s instructions, Pininfarina decided to also study the proposal of a Coupé version, and work was brought forward almost in secret.

This is how another chapter was added to the catalogue of the marvellous Pininfarina 2+2s. The Gamma Coupé joined a very small number of masterpiece-vehicles like the Ferrari 365 GT 2+2, which then evolved into the 400 and 412, the Fiat 130 Coupé and the Rolls-Royce Camargue. Four vehicles that in a certain way are all the children of the Lancia Florida II and of its standard version, the Flaminia Coupé, the last vehicles born under the attentive eye of Maestro Pinin.

When Pininfarina presented the Gamma saloon and, as a surprise, the Coupé as well, the additional version was immediately approved.

Proposed with a two litre or two and a half litre engine, in Italy the Gamma was almost exclusively purchased with the smaller engine which made it possible to remain below the two litre fiscal threshold.

The vehicle we propose today is part of the 1,265 two litre Coupés produced: a volume not far from that, for example, of the Ferrari Daytona or F40. A model that was thus already rare in itself, which became practically unique if we consider that today it is being put up for sale by the first owner and that it has never been restored, just subjected to constant and careful maintenance. The mechanics have been looked after with fanatical care as has the bodywork and the sophisticated black leather interior that presents only minimum signs of the passage of time.

For anyone looking for this type of car that still has a very low valuation, the vehicle proposed today represents a unique opportunity to purchase a first hand example in exceptional condition, at a risible price, considering the importance of the Brands it carries, its rarity and condition.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    9.000 / 12.000
23

FIAT CAMPAGNOLA (1967)

 

CHASSIS N. 022655

 

ENGINE: IN LINE 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 1900 CM3

POWER: 65,5 CV

BODY STYLE: STATION WAGON

 

Like almost all the big car manufacturers, in the 1940s Fiat also worked on designing a basic, versatile vehicle which could be used for off-road driving and in adverse weather conditions, that was suitable for agricultural as well as military use. This market segment had been opened up by the glorious American Jeep, many examples of which had remained in Europe and were reconditioned and sold to private individuals. These led to the production of all the subsequent ‘off-road vehicles’ from the Land Rover to the Campagnola to the Japanese models.

The Campagnola, or “AR51” as many generations of Italian conscripted soldiers would learn to call it, entered into production in 1951 and was destined to become a classic on a national level.

It was mainly used – in addition to the various military transport fleets – by companies that needed vehicles that could be driven anywhere in order to follow the work sites that were rebuilding Italy and its infrastructures, and by people in the countryside or in the mountains who needed the ability to drive almost anywhere.

The Campagnola allowed this thanks to its long-travel suspensions and, more importantly, due to its low-gear transfer case and the fact that it could be turned from rear-wheel-drive to all-wheel-drive while in motion. So the Campagnola was a lightweight vehicle (around 1250 Kg) with four wheel drive and eight speed transmission. It had an open torpedo body style with a simple soft top and suicide half doors, light but forcedly very basic: it barely had seats inside!

Despite not being a model destined for wide circulation, even the ‘general-interest’ press covered the presentation: the weekly magazine “Epoca” dated 8/12/51 dedicated two colour pages to the Campagnola, writing: “The Campagnola represents a step forward in the evolution of the multi-purpose motor vehicle” and continued by rightly highlighting its professional vocation. Nobody, in those years could imagine the birth and development of the ‘off-road vehicle’: a specific motoring sector that was to become a fashion.

However there is always someone who sees farther ahead than everyone else: the first owner of the Campagnola we are offering for auction today – one of the great Italian publishers of the XX century – needed a private car that was able to reach his rather isolated mountain cabin. He was not, however, wiling to renounce the minimum of comfort so he had his Campagnola modified by an anonymous coachbuilder.

Fitted with a rigid roof and full doors, with an enriched interior and imitation leather finish, the rustic Campagnola was transformed, without even knowing it, into the forerunner of the modern luxury SUV!

The transformation was carried out with care and using quality materials: please note, for example, the adoption of the internal handles of the Lancia Flavia.

Purchased by the current owner in 1978, the vehicle was used by the same and his family for over forty years to explore the wildest areas of the Valle d’Aosta.

Unused for some years, the family has decided to put the vehicle up for sale and to pass it on to a new owner who can continue to take care of it.

It is not rare to find a Campagnola on the market, but this example, in addition to being in very fresh mechanical condition, having a low mileage and not subjected to heavy use, represents a unique specimen compared to the typical ragtop AR51, and would be perfect for a collector of classic vehicles with a house in the mountains...

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    4.000 / 6.000
Price realized:  Registration
24

JAGUAR XJS (1992)

 

CHASSIS N. SAJJNAEW4EN180068

 

ENGINE: V12

DISPLACEMENT: 5345 CM3

POWER: 280 CV

BODY STYLE: COUPE’ 2+2

 

After such an important model as the E Type and Jaguar’s move from being a small independent manufacturer to part of a big organization (British Leyland), it was not easy to develop a new Grand Tourer...

However, starting with the fabulous twelve cylinder engine – then, and for many years afterwards, the only one mass-produced by a non-niche manufacturer – with innovative design concepts, in 1975 Jaguar presented its new flagship sports car. With its less extreme character and comfort similar to that of the large saloon cars, the C-, D- and E-Type sequence was abandoned and the new model was called the XJ-S.

Initially this model found it hard to become accepted by Jaguar enthusiasts but, over time, with the improvements that were gradually introduced and the changes in public tastes, the XJ-S managed to earn itself a considerable following. Its revenge has been to become the most long-lived sports car of the whole Jaguar range.

A new series was presented in the early 1990s to which the vehicle proposed here belongs. This was the result of a significant improvement and modernization program for the range that involved 1200 modifications compared to the previous version. The updates referred to the mechanics, the electronics, the anti-pollution systems, the line (40% of the panelling was new) and the interior: in practice, it was a new car, and the factory and production methods had also been modernized to be able to supply a product that was qualitatively of a very high class. For example, the bodywork panels were bigger: the rear wing was made from a single pressing instead of the previous five, with obvious advantages in terms of production and quality.

Despite being completely different from the previous series, the new XJS cars could be easily recognized just by looking at the rear lights.

The interior was totally revamped, bringing the XJS even closer to the world of big luxury rather than sports vehicles. It should be remembered that in the same period Ferrari and Aston Martin, for example, were also increasingly enriching the interior furnishing of their vehicles.

The powerful twelve cylinder engine was also revamped and fitted with a new fuel supply system and with Magneti Marelli digital ignition.

Thanks to these improvements the introduction of catalytic converters resulted in the V12 losing only eight horsepower. Thanks to all the modifications made, the XJS entered its last decade with renewed success and maintained high production levels until 1996.

The vehicle being auctioned is in as-new condition despite having around 131,000 kilometres on the clock and features a very elegant Dorchester Grey livery with the interior in Doeskin leather.

This vehicle is ready to continue its luxury GT service with almost daily use for the lucky purchaser that acquires it.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    18.000 / 25.000
25

MG C ROADSTER (1968)

 

CHASSIS N. TV24258300TV

 

ENGINE: 6 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 2912 CM3

POWER: 145 CV

BODY STYLE: ROADSTER

 

MG was for many years one of the most famous brands among those specializing in sports cars, but it has been almost completely forgotten today. Created in 1922, as an acronym of Morris Garages, in fact MG started out as a small company dedicated to modifying the mass production Morris vehicles in a sporty style.

Through a succession of series (from the TA to the TF), in the 1940s MG was very successful on many markets, particularly in the United States. These archaic ‘Midget’ “T” series were replaced by the “A” in 1955 and then the “B” in 1962. This was a good two-seater car, built in a spider and coupé version that was unable, however, to fully develop its potential because of the small four cylinder engine.

For this reason, in 1967 a new version was prepared with a six cylinder three litre engine derived from an Austin unit. In that period the British motoring industry was going through a far-reaching process of reorganization and almost all the brands were flowing in to one big Holding: British Motor Holdings which later became British Leyland. In this context, collaborations or contaminations between the various brands were the order of the day and, for this reason, it was possible for the same engine to be moved from an Austin Healey to the MG C.

Compared to the MG B, the C received some updates in order to adapt the chassis parts (brakes and suspensions) for the increased performance, whilst the interior was slightly enriched considering the fact that the vehicle would have a higher price.

This model, developed as an expedient for exploiting a small market niche, still managed to create itself a large following amongst enthusiasts of British sportscars, and the 4544 examples produced represented good business for MG, which subsequently closed down at the end of the 1970s.

Today a left-hand drive MG C Spider is a rather unusual vehicle that is capable of giving great satisfaction to anyone who loves open-top British sports vehicles. The fact that it is not very common makes it a very special object that always arouses a lot of interest among enthusiasts.

The vehicle proposed here has been recently restored and is therefore in very good condition. It represents a rare opportunity of purchasing a special British sportscar with a real-world price.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    25.000 / 35.000
Price realized:  Registration
26

JEEP GPW 1943

 

CHASSIS N. 416228

 

ENGINE: 4 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 2199 CM3

POWER: 60 CV

BODY STYLE: TOURER

 

The “Jeep” is simply one of the most important cars ever built, a car that led to the creation of a genre to such an extent that its name has become its synonym. Practically all the off-road vehicles in the world are derived from the Jeep.

It is also the only truly historic car because it made a vital contribution to the victory of the Allies in the Second World War and is still part of that period’s iconography today.

In the summer of 1940, when the war in Europe was already fully developed, the United States Army began to interest itself in a series of new equipment that it could use when it entered the war. Amongst these was a small, lightweight vehicle capable of going anywhere and guaranteeing the troops’ mobility. Within the space of around one year, with the involvement of all the various car and mechanical industries, the new vehicle was ready, and production of the same by Willys Overland Corporation and the Ford Motor Co commenced.

Over 361,000 examples were built and brought to all theatres of war. The Jeeps were subsequently left behind when the Americans went home. Reconditioned and sold on to private individuals, thousands of them were absorbed by the European market in the 1950s: a series of ruined economies for which a cheap multi-purpose vehicle was very useful.

The Jeep that we are presenting today was certainly purchased privately in the early post-war years and used in the countryside, possibly as a farm tractor, before becoming a collector’s item.

Its owner has recently subjected the vehicle to careful restoration in terms of the mechanics and appearance, also sourcing many accessories and equipment that make it possible to recreate the conditions of a typical US Army Jeep. It should be noted that, since no specific archives exist, it is not possible to reconstruct the unit or zone in which a specific Jeep operated during the war: for this reason it is normal that, during restoration work, the owner chooses the livery of their own preference.

The Jeep presented today is in excellent condition and offers real testimony of a period of liberation and rebirth: it is ready to enter a museum or to be used for leisure purposes or for successfully taking part in events dedicated to military vehicles.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    18.000 / 25.000
Price realized:  Registration
27

PORSCHE CARRERA 2 993 CABRIOLET (1995)

 

CHASSIS N. WPOCA299299342256

 

ENGINE: 6 CYLINDER BOXER

DISPLACEMENT: 3600 CM3

POWER: 272 CV

BODY STYLE: CABRIOLET

 

NOTE: 4 speed Tiptronic gearbox, Porsche HI-FI with CD, Best Sound steel exhaust, completely reconditioned Seats and Sof Top, new battery, satellite burglar alarm, central locking

This model, produced from 1993 to 1998, is the last one to have the original Porsche engine concept: the famous flat six air cooled engine, which is light, powerful and reliable.

With this series, the 911 had been modernized from the 964, with softer lines and redesigned suspension which limited roll and oversteer, making the car easier to drive for those who did not have a specific Porsche driving experience.

These features opened a wider public to Porsche and made it possible for them to grow the production, thus ensuring the survival of this seminal German Brand.

With this series the new Tiptronic S gearbox was introduced which also contributed in giving the choice between a relaxed drive and a sporty one.

The car we are offering today is in very good condition, with as new blue leather seats and convertible top, and only 55,000 kms on the odometer. Before being offered, it has received a very thorough service and four new tyres.

This elegant Porsche Cabrio can be a comfortable tourer or an accomplished sports car, always ready for the driver’s wish.

For someone who is looking for an open Porsche this motor car represents a very good opportunity, belonging to a series that bridged the past and the future, and having a sure potential in the market.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    60.000 / 80.000
28
Estimate    12.000 / 15.000
29

FERRARI 599 GTO (2010)

 

CHASSIS N. 174806

 

ENGINE: V 65. 12 CYLINDER

DISPLACEMENT: 5999 CM3

POWER: 670 CV A 8250 G/M

BODY STYLE: BERLINETTA SCAGLIETTI

 

This vehicle is the proud bearer of the initials that at Ferrari have always been the symbol of the top of the range since the 250 GTO in 1962, passing through the 1980 288 GTO that started the phenomenon of the limited edition Supercar, the entire production of which would be pre-sold. So, after nearly 30 years, the same name stands out on a special version of which 599 examples were built, that was also destined exclusively for the Cavallino’s elite clientele.

The development of this vehicle, built from 2010 to 2013, starting with the 599, adopted the same philosophy as Formula 1, considerably increasing the performance thanks to the ever more sophisticated electronic control systems, reducing the dry weight to 1495 Kg with a ratio of 2.23 Kg/HP, and giving it a performance that would lead the company from Maranello to define it as the highest performing vehicle in the history of Ferrari until that time: from 0 to 100 in 3.35 seconds, whereas to reach 200 Km/h it took just a few tenths over 9 seconds, with a top speed of over 335 Km/h.

One of the most significant innovations was the close connection between the mechanical arrangement, which was brought “to the limit”, and the electronic systems, the function of which was, first and foremost, directed towards improving performance. From the very early stages of development the engineers at Maranello worked to ensure that these two areas of the vehicle would be totally integrated, thus taking the reactivity of the vehicle to the extreme, all to the advantage of the driving pleasure and with evident positive effects that were detectable on the chronometer.

Together with new springs and a more rigid rear anti roll bar, the suspension layout was characterized by the adoption of second generation magnetorheological controlled suspensions (SCM2). The mechanical components worked together with the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) stability control and the F1-developed traction control, making the vehicle extremely responsive to the driver’s commands, also thanks to the adoption of a very direct steering ratio, thus it was very stable and reactive under braking and steering (source Ferrari).

Only 599 examples were built and it can be said that no two vehicles are identical since each one of the lucky owners could choose personalized fittings like a truly artisanal car with the highest technological solutions that make it docile but, excluding the electronics, turn it into a vehicle only suitable for expert circuit pilots.

Sophisticated composite materials were used to realize this car and the glass parts were reduced to arrive at a weight of just slightly more than that of a small economy car, but with Formula 1 power. The aerodynamics, derived directly from the experimental 599 XX, mean that it registers a penetration coefficient of 1.44 increasing the aerodynamic load, improving the liquid cooling and enhancing air extraction. On the track at Fiorano the 599 GTO stopped the chronometers at 1 minute 24 seconds, making the driver forget he was in a vehicle created to be driven normally on the road and to be admired by all Cavallino enthusiasts.

This vehicle belonged to a great Ferrari collector who was very fastidious in carrying out periodic maintenance, and has less than 10,000 Km on the clock. During the purchase phase it was personalized with the following accessories:

Two-tone paint

Racing red brake calipers

Carbon fibre sill panels

Carbon fibre headlight housing

Satellite navigation system

Bose Hi fi system

Protective film

Matte carbon door handles

Matte carbon fuel cover with satin finish Cavallino prancing horse

Silver World Champion plate

Roll bar covered in black Alcantara fabric

It is, naturally, in perfect condition.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    550.000 / 650.000
30

ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER SHADOW II (1977)

 

CHASSIS N. SRH31603

 

ENGINE: V8 90.

DISPLACEMENT: 6750 CM3

POWER: ADEQUATE

BODY STYLE: SALOON

 

The Silver Shadow launched in 1965 with the 6230 CC V8 model was the most sophisticated new car presented by Rolls-Royce, and the one with the longest career. It was the first Rolls-Royce to be built around a monocoque which made it possible to limit the weight and, above all, gave it a lower and more modern line without altering the interior comfort and the legendary luxury of which vehicles bearing the double R logo had become the symbol.

In 1970 it was updated with a engine increased to 6750 cc, a displace­ment that was to remain unchanged for decades, up to the twelve cylinder Phantom VIII presented just a few weeks ago.

Within the context of ongoing updating and improvement, in 1977 the Second Series of the Silver Shadow was launched, of which we have a marvellous example today.

With a more modern dashboard, a completely new and sophisticated air conditioning system (which at the time was said to cost as much as a Fiat 500...) and the new energy-absorbing bumpers, the Silver Shadow II took the place of the previous model, treading the boards for just three years during which 8,422 vehicles were produced.

Despite being the “base model” of the Rolls-Royce range, according to tradition the Silver Shadow II was often ordered with special finishes: the example presented here is a very interesting case in point, having been built with a vinyl roof and a velvet upholstery.

As a rule, the interior of the vehicles produced by Rolls-Royce in the post-war years was always finished in leather and great attention was paid to sourcing the finest hides supplied by the historic Connolly firm of London. It was very rare for the client to request a finish in a dif­ferent material and the choice was between “West of England Cloth” and velvet. The latter makes this vehicle an almost unique example which is different from all the other Silver Shadows: moreover, the velvet interior offers a silence which is even greater than the already extraordinary levels offered by any Rolls-Royce.

The vehicle we are presenting here was purchased in the summer of 1977 by its first owner who, like the subsequent custodians kept a file with all the documentation related to the maintenance of the vehicle. In this way, we have the certainty that the vehicle has always been maintained by well-known specialists and we also have proof of the mileage, which today amounts to around 59,000 miles, i.e. just over 94,000 kilometres.

The current owner purchased the vehicle in April 2011: a passionate collector of important automobiles, he immediately entrusted it to the care of the Officina Sauro, very well known for many years in Bologna and specialized in Ferrari and Rolls-Royce cars. During the period of his ownership he commissioned maintenance work and improvements – especially to the hydraulic system - amounting to around € 20,000.

The Silver Shadow II we are presenting today is a very rare example with some unique characteristics, in an enviable original condition, maintained by the owner at a maximum level of efficiency... as is ob­ligatory for a car of this importance.

It represents an exceptional opportunity to obtain a high level car that is very rare, with very low mileage, at the price of an economy saloon.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    16.000 / 20.000
Price realized:  Registration
31

ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER WRAITH II (1980)

 

CHASSIS N. LRH40265

 

ENGINE: V8 90.

DISPLACEMENT: 6750 CM3

POWER: ADEQUATE

BODY STYLE: LONG WHEELBASE SALOON

 

The Silver Shadow was the first Rolls-Royce to be built around a monocoque which made it possible to limit the weight and, above all, gave it a lower and more modern line without altering the inte­rior comfort and the legendary luxury of which vehicles bearing the RR logo had become the symbol.

Within the context of ongoing updating and improvement, in 1977 the Second Series of the Silver Shadow was launched, of which today we have a marvellous example in the long wheelbase version.

With a more modern dashboard, a completely new and sophisti­cated air conditioning system and the new energy-absorbing bump­ers, the Silver Wraith II took the place of the previous Silver Shadow Long Wheelbase.

Almost all the models produced by Rolls-Royce in its 113 year history were also proposed in a ‘long’ version. Practically speaking this ver­sion provided more space and privacy for the rear passengers and was often fitted with a glass partition between the chauffeur’s front compartment and the rear one. “Back-Front” instead of “Upstairs- Downstairs”! They were also different from the ‘normal’ Silver Shad­ows by having a vynil-covered roof and a smaller rear window.

In the 1970s and 1980s the long wheelbase versions of the Silver Shadow series were numerically very rare given that the use of chauffeurs was disappearing. Even rarer were the examples like the one proposed here without a glass divider. These vehicles were, in fact, preferred by people who – according to the circumstances – drove the car themselves or had themselves driven by a chauffeur. In practice, there was little difference compared to the standard ver­sion, versus a marked difference in the purchase price!

The vehicle presented here belongs to the second series of Silver Shadows, for which the name of a model from the 1950s was brought back. Only 2144 examples of the Silver Wraith II were produced, the majority of which were used for official purposes, in black or dark blue livery and with a glass partition. Therefore this vehicle represents a very rare example of a ‘private’ Silver Wraith II: it was, in fact, purchased in 1980 by a lady who had it delivered to Hong Kong and used it until 1989.

The copious documentation that accompanies the car – which in­cludes the “Chassis Cards” certifying all the phases of its production – in fact make it possible to reconstruct all the various passages and mileages guaranteed by the documents regarding the annual MOTs. The vehicle was not used from 1989 to 1996 and then was only driven for a few kilometres, so that today, at the age of thirty-seven, it has clocked up less than 40,000 miles, equal to around 64,000 kilometres, perfectly in line with the information provided in the documentation.

Purchased by the current owner in 2011, this Silver Wraith II has been used very little and has been entrusted to the care of the Offici­na Sauro in Bologna for all the necessary checks and maintenance including a complete overhaul of the hydraulic system. Today it is in an excellent condition.

This Silver Wraith II also represents an exceptional opportunity to obtain a very rare car - with low mileage and that is certainly unique with its livery and splendid green Connolly leather interior - at the price of a mass produce economy car..

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety rea­sons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    18.000 / 25.000
Price realized:  Registration
32

ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER SPIRIT (1981)

 

CHASSIS N. ZCAZS0004DCH07649

 

ENGINE: V8 90.

DISPLACEMENT: 6750 CM3

POWER: ADEQUATE

BODY STYLE: SALOON

In the early 1990s, Rolls-Royce developed and launched the Silver Spirit on the market following the great success of the Silver Shadow, which had completely changed the technical basis of the Brand and made it possible for what, until 1971, had been just a small division of a big engineering company to detach itself and grow independently as a successful motor manufacturer.

From the beginning Rolls-Royce had always focused on the evolution and development of a project until it achieved the highest possible level of perfection, rather than revolution. This was the case, for in­stance, in 1946 – 1965, when various models (Silver Dawn and Silver Wraith, Silver Cloud I, II and III) were developed from a common tech­nical base. With the big change brought by the Silver Shadow in 1965 and its monococque, integrated hydraulic systems, and so on, a new period of evolution had started that was to continue until 2000.

The Silver Spirit was thus an evolution of the Silver Shadow: the plat­form and the mechanics were very similar apart from some updates to the safety, antipollution and climate control systems, whilst the body­work was completely new.

Whilst remaining faithful to the classic grand luxury saloon genre, the Silver Spirit was more modern and less angular, also in order to create a more aerodynamic shape.

The motor car we present here today comes from the first part of the production, which makes it quite rare. Being the ‘basic model’ of the Rolls-Royce line-up, it has a less opulent finish with respect to the later cars: the woodwork on the doors has smaller parts, the wheels are still steel discs - many other details were modified and enriched later.

Everything in this car seems to have been designed to create a homo­geneous and not too showy image: the sophisticated combination of the sober metallic medium blue paintworkwork and the blue leather upholstery, the absence of a vinyl roof and contrasting finishes make this Rolls-Royce a very elegant motor car. The only quirk is the “Silver Spirit II” badge applied to the lid of the boot by one of its previous owners: a mistake as this car is from the very first Series.

This car, like the other two Rolls-Royces shown here, has been very well cared for by its owners and is in very good condition in terms of the body work, interior and mechanics. All the potentially problematic areas have been checked by British Motors in Verona, well known as one of the best specialized workshops for this type of car, as well as the Bentley Motors official Service Point. As is commonly known, after the two Brands split, Bentley Motors continues to provide spare parts and assistance for all the Rolls-Royce motor cars built in Crewe before 2000.

The market value of the Silver Spirit is now at its lowest point, there­fore this vehicle represents a very attractive opportunity.

The vehicle is in excellent mechanical condition but, for safety reasons, we advise the purchaser to have it checked over and to replace the fluids, filters and perishable elements.

 

Estimate    12.000 / 15.000
Price realized:  Registration
1 - 30  of 46