CAPOLAVORI DA COLLEZIONI ITALIANE

1 OTTOBRE 2015
Asta, 0045
17

COPPIA DI FIASCHE DA PELLEGRINO, LONDRA, 1867, ARGENTIERE GEORGE FOX

Stima
8.000 / 12.000
Aggiudicazione:  Registrazione

COPPIA DI FIASCHE DA PELLEGRINO, LONDRA, 1867, ARGENTIERE GEORGE FOX      

base ovale baccellata, parte inferiore decorata con tecnica cut-card, sui fianchi due protomi femminili tra volute vegetali che trattengono le catenelle di sospensione, coperchio baccellato con finale traforato a volute, alt. cm  41, g 5370, venduta da Lambert & Rawlings (2) 

 

PAIR OF PILGRIM FLASKS, LONDON, 1867, GEORGE FOX

oval gadrooned foot, applied with lobed cut-card work, cast leaf-flanked female masks on either side with pendent heavy chain of curved links, applied with further cut-card work and stylized stiff foliage at the neck, gadrooned cover with openwork finial, 41cm high, 5370 gr., retailed by Lambert & Rawlings (2)

 

 

Il modello qui presentato riprende i modelli delle fiasche da pellegrino in maiolica o in argento già in uso dal XVI secolo. In particolare si può confrontare con l’esemplare conservato oggi al Victoria and Albert Museum di Londra - fig.1                                                                         

George Fox (1816-1910) fu figlio d’arte. Il nonno Charles Fox, infatti, fondò la ditta di argenteria nel 1801 circa in società con James Turner al numero 3 di Old Street a Londra.

La manifattura viene citata nella Holden Directory di Londra, l’elenco di mercanti e artigiani attivi in quegli anni.

La società con James Turner fu sciolta nel 1804 e Charles Fox continuò la sua professione al 139 di Old Street dove, dal 1822 , cominciò l’attività di argentiere anche il figlio Charles Fox Junior.

In questi anni la manifattura è ricordata non solo per la creazione di oggetti in argento ma anche come laboratorio per restauri e dorature.

Nel 1841 la società a conduzione familiare si arricchì anche della manodopera  dei figli di Charles Fox Junior.

Charles Thomas Fox (1801-1872) e George Fox (1816-1910) cominciarono a lavorare come argentieri nella C.T.&G. Fox che dal 1852 spostò la sua sede al 13 di Queen Street. L’attività in quegli anni ebbe come principale sbocco di commercio la collaborazione con i più grandi orefici del momento come Lambert & Rawlings in Coventry Street per cui crearono anche le opere in mostra all’Esposizione Universale del 1851 ed importanti commissioni da parte delle notabili famiglie inglesi. Le fiasche qui proposte sono proprio frutto di questa collaborazione

Nel 1860 il fratello di George Fox si ritirò ed egli divenne l’unico socio dell’azienda di famiglia fino al 1910 anno della sua morte.

 

Cfr.:J. Culme, The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914, 1987, pp. 162-163

 

The model we are here presenting was inspired by the majolica or silver pilgrim flasks which were already in use in the 16th century. We can compare it in particular with the one today in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (fig. 1).

George Fox (1816-1910) followed in the family tradition: in 1801 his grandfather Charles Fox had in fact founded a silverware company in partnership with James Turner at no. 3, Old Street, London. The manufactory is mentioned in the Holden Directory of London, the list of merchants and artisans active in those years. The partnership with James Turner was dissolved in 1804 and Charles Fox continued the business at no. 139, Old Street, where, in 1822, his son Charles Fox Junior also started working as a silversmith.

In these years the manufactory was known not only for the production of silver objects, but also as a laboratory specialized in restoring and gilding.

In 1841 the sons of Charles Fox Junior entered the family-run business.

Charles Thomas Fox (1801-1872) and George Fox (1816-1910) started working as silversmiths in the C.T.&G. Fox, which in 1852 moved its premises to no. 13, Queen Street. The trade of those years was mainly characterized by the collaboration with the most important goldsmiths of the time, such as Lambert & Rawlings in Conventry Street, for which they also created the works that were displayed at the Great Exhibition in 1851, and by important commissions from eminent English families. The flasks we are here presenting are precisely the result of this collaboration.

In 1860 George Fox’s brother retired, and he became the sole partner of the family business until his death in 1910.

 

Literature

J. Culme, The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914, 1987, pp. 162-163